That California amendment fight for November won't stop its back and forth. From San Francisco, the Chronicle recaps the arguments before the state's Supreme Court on the suit to halt the vote.
Among the considerations:
- Secretary of State Debra Bowen pleads for quick action. She has ballots to distribute by Aug. 11th.
- The court could decide it or pass it to a lower court.
- The anti-equality side says, Yeah, yeah. It wouldn't qualify as is now but it was okay when we got signature.
- The pro-equality forces contend this is not a stand-alone amendment, rather a constitutional revision, requiring legislative approval before any vote.
- They also say with all these questions, they should resolve them before any vote.
- The anti side says lots of key issues have gotten initiative resolution, in a place I consider unhealthily initiative crazy.
Tags: massmarrier, California, same sex marriage, ballot initiative, Equality California, ADF, Supreme Court