- They adjusted the final House vote in favor to 89 to 57.
- The Senate should concur and send the bill to the governor today.
- Gov. Baldacci has 10 days to sign or veto the bill or let it become law without action.
- If opponents gather enough votes to trigger a people's veto plebiscite, this delays implementing the law.
- Opponents would have to gather 55,087 valid signatures.
- Their time window is opens with the adjournment of the legislature, which is likely the middle of June.
- In closes in 90 days.
- If they have enough, the law is suspended until after a vote in the November general election.
- If that happens, a simple majority of voters will determine whether the law goes into effect.
Tags: massmarrier, same sex marriage, Maine, People' Veto