Saturday, July 28, 2012

Thanking Hizzoner


Along with a good time with good music at Copley Plaza last night, I go to chat up our Mayor Tom Menino. That was feel good for me because I got to thank him.

Despite predictable crazy talk from wingers and more academic objections from the likes of the ACLU bloggy types, Boston's Mayor had his heart and passion for equal rights spot on...which I told him. The letter to the head of Chick-fil-A was not, to pun, that well cooked. Menino did end up agreeing that he had the right to scold anti-gay bigots who fund nasty efforts, but he couldn't legally stop them from opening new business joints in our town, so long as they obeyed MA and Bostons anti-discrimination rules.

I saw da Mare's Escalade pull onto the plaza close to where we were. I leaned into the open door as he greeted me by name (wow, he remembers a lot of folk) and shook his hand. I thanked him for speaking up for gay rights and equal marriage with the company. He seemed pleased, but not surprised. He must know he's right.

That and aims to limit the most extreme military weaponry in civilian hands are just two of the smart things he does well and relentlessly.

Hizzoner was not about to let his sore leg keep him from the Boston Summer Arts show, from addressing the audience, and from having a good time with his wife Angela.

No comments: