Friday, September 01, 2006

Bonifaz Becomes Only Option

The dictionary defines galvanize as "stimulate" or even "coat with zinc." Given our secretary of state's cowardly inaction and lack of communication, perhaps it would define Galvinize as "avoid citizens" or "disdain the voters."

It cracks a corner off my infallibility plaque, but I have to reverse my endorsement in this race. After much thought in May, I came down for Bill Galvin over John Bonifaz. In light of the objections I had then to Galvin and particularly his recent behavior, I switch to John Bonifaz.

I see Bonifaz as by far the brighter and more principled of the two. In May, I gave the edge to Galvin because Bonifaz seems above the job and focused on broader issues.

For a history and catalog of Galvin avoiding both voters and his job, head over to Ryan's Take. Three sequential posts on August 30 and 31 tell plenty.

This race was Galvin's to lose and he has done his best to do so. He was weak in his performance and now he has lost all credibility by punking out of public debates.

I change my endorsement to John Bonifaz for secretary of state.

Tags: , , , , ,

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Kudos on the new endorsement, I think you're making the right decision. Honestly, I don't get why Galvin is so hesitant to debate - it's not as if it'd be on the channel five news or anything (heck, the Medford one was going to be on *public access* for *two cities*).

I'm just glad Galvin has showed his true colors. While I had reservations about Bonifaz too, it's clear he's the only person in this race making an effort to connect to voters.