Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Vermont Governor Will Veto

In Montpelier, Gov. Jim Douglas turned his back on the people and their legislature. Squarely facing the bigoted past, he said he'd veto the same-sex marriage bill already passed by the state Senate and well on its way through the House.

The Senate certainly has more than the 20 of 30 votes to override. We won't know until the 150 members of the House vote if there will be 100 there to finish bring marriage equality to the original civil-union state.

Vermont Public Radio has a podcast of Douglas' statement this afternoon here.

There is a lot of mealy-mouthing and B.S. there. Key in his remarks is:
But like President Obama and leaders on both sides of the aisle, I believe that marriage should remain between a man and a woman. As you know, it's been a policy of mine not to announce whether or not I will veto a bill before it reaches my desk. But during these extraordinary times, the speculation about my decision has added to the anxiety of the moment and further diverts attention from our more pressing issues, and I cannot allow that to happen. For these reasons and I believe that removing any uncertainty about my position we can move forward more quickly beyond this debate, I'm announcing that I intend to veto this legislation when it reaches my desk.


Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: