Saturday, January 07, 2006

Snake of the Union

Someone's POTUS will slither into a joint session of the U.S. Congress in a few weeks to deliver the State of the Union Address. My eldest son has girded my loins, or rather arrayed my pecs, in preparation. fnord logoMy new t-shirt carries a Ford-style Fnord logo. Now, on liar's night, I shall be prepared physically as well as psychologically.

The newly combined Boston/Cambridge Drinking Liberally promises an event to coordinate. Perhaps it will be easier to hear in a room of swilling, swearing, snorting pinkos.

Honor, honesty and decency mandate that George the Lesser humble himself before the Congress and the people. "I have caused the death of thousands of Americans and tens of thousands of others. My administration is mired in corruption and deceit. I have stripped people here and abroad of liberty and security to pursue my political ends. For these and other errors, I am deeply sorry and shall seek to correct them."

Experience suggests it will be more fnord.

As Samuel Butler's translation of the Iliad opens, Sing, O goddess, the anger of Achilles son of Peleus, that brought countless ills upon the Achaeans. Many a brave soul did it send hurrying down to Hades, and many a hero did it yield a prey to dogs and vultures...

Brave and duty-bound citizens die. Politicans lie.

No comments: