Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Mayoral Contender?

I guess we all know Terry Malloy, played in On the Waterfront by Marlon Brando. The pug who took dives for short money and then was reduced to shoving boxes on the docks.

Is that Maura Hennigan, the mayoral challenger without a vision, without a plan, without a program, without a prayer? Well, today's Globe and Herald both think so.

They have some similar and some disparate argument for Da Mare. They agree that she didn't show any stuff, no good reasons to believe she would be better or even as good as Menino.

That is a pity in a city that prides itself on its politics and politicians. It is not too early for those with good ideas and a real vision to begin planning for the next mayoral election. The folks here are hungry for a real fight.

To recall the great Terry lines:
I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.

No comments: