Monday, September 26, 2005

At-Large Councilor Favorite

Sitting by Jamaica Pond on what my grandmother would call a bum bench, I was working a cryptic puzzle while waiting for my wife to finish her first road race. To my grandmother, if you were not working, producing something, you were a bum. You could fall into that category just by sitting on a bench in front of the town courthouse to chat with a friend.

A colorful flyer placed on my puzzle saved me from my indolence Saturday though. With his concentration obvious, Sam Yoon's picture dominated the flyer. Likewise, Sam himself was as alert and bright looking in person standing before me. He was seeking votes in JP in his run for at-large Boston city councilor.

For a wide variety of reasons, we shall vote for him Tuesday, tomorrow. Fifteen are running for the four slots. The eight highest vote getters go on to the November 8th election.

He also is on the right side of the same-sex marriage issue. He told me that he was an evangelical Christian who found strong Biblical and doctrinal support for same-sex marriage.

His site also has a blog-like object, which is really a Q&A forum for potential constituents. About two weeks ago, he answered that question with:
My position on same sex marriage is quite simple. I support the right of all couples to marry who they love, and form a family. To me, it is an issue of fairness, of justice, and of equal opportunity. I think government should be actively supporting families of all kinds to prosper, rather than telling people who they can and cannot marry.
You can read some of the many whys to vote for Yoon in the Boston Globe's Observer, Sam Allis' interview with him. A PDF of that is available on Yoon's site. Its first paragraph includes, "...Self-respecting lefties of all stripes should be swooning. Ditto for thinking Republicans."

Unlike other city councilors I have known, Sam Yoon looks you in the eye and speaks credibly. He pays attention and reacts on his feet. His heart and head are honest, honorable and compassionate.

He reminds me very much of my former state representative when I lived in Greenwich Village. The first time I met that guy, I was on my way to work on a rainy morning, hustling to the 12th Street entrance of the IRT subway. He stopped me, introduced himself as my rep and asked if there was anything I would like to change about the district.

I don't recall what they were, but I had suggestions. He listened, commented on some, and took notes. He went on to become Mayor Ed Koch. I interviewed him later for articles and found the same sincerity and intensity.

I hope Sam Yoon holds onto and builds on those same characteristics.

No comments: