MassACT! will have 12 days from September 23rd to gather enough signatures to put real health-care reform on the ballot November 2006. It is aiming for 100,000.
The Massachusetts Affordable Care campaign is from a broad coalition of medical, family, union civic, and business groups. They are working for a health-care act that, as they put it:
- Reduces premiums - ending the insurance surcharge now tacked onto premiums to pay for uninsured
- patients who get care in emergency rooms and other sites.
- Increases quality affordable coverage - providing sliding-scale assistance to moderate-incomefamilies struggling to afford health care costs.
- Helps small businesses provide coverage - expanding the Insurance Partnership program and establishing a reinsurance program to reduce premiums.
- Makes our health system fair - funding expanded coverage through an affordable assessment on firms that refuse to provide coverage to their workers.
- Covers our children and most vulnerable residents - expanding the affordable MassHealth program.
- Lowers health costs and improves health - increasing the cigarette tax by 60 cents to reduce smoking and to fund affordable coverage.